Time To Read: 6 minutes
Hearing aids can last for many years, with the average time it takes for most people to upgrade to their next device at around 5 years. That's a pretty good lifespan!
The reasons to upgrade hearing aids will vary from person to person, but the main reasons people come in to see us for an upgrade include:
- The hearing aid needs more frequent costly repairs
- You aren’t quite doing as well with the hearing aid as before, despite having had it adjusted or repaired.
- The hearing aid has become irrepairable as the supplier has discontinued the model and therefore does not have the parts to service it with.
- Technology has advanced so much that you are likely to do significantly better than with your current hearing aids and their out-of-date technology. We have an up to date article here that details things that have changed in hearing aids over the last several years.
Considering an upgrade?
What to do when you think it is time to consider upgrading:
- Always speak to your hearing specialist first as there might be something simple wrong with your current hearing aid or the way it is tuned.
- You need to have your hearing checked by your hearing specialist to ensure that it is not diminished hearing leading to diminished hearing aid performance.
Once these things have been checked and it has been determined that new hearing aids may be the best way forward, you need to ensure that you choose a hearing aid that will perform noticeably better than your current hearing aid.
The clinical evidence your clinician needs to make a clear recommendation:
- Your latest hearing test results
- Your measured maximum ability to hear speech in quiet in % correct
- Your measured ability to hear speech in noise once your hearing loss has been compensated for
To help you avoid any issues or frustrations you had with your previous set, it is very helpful for the hearing specialist to know what you disliked about your previous hearing aid. It is also equally important to understand what you liked about your current hearing aids, so they can try and ensure you have more of the same.
It is also very helpful for you to have a wish list of new technologies over and above improved hearing in quiet and in noise that you desire. Modern hearing aids have many 'nice to have' features, not freely available in previous generations.
- Rechargeable hearing aids
- Hearing aids that can connect directly to your phone without any accessories
- Bluetooth hearing aids
- Improved sound quality and performance in noise
- Wind noise reduction
- Smaller sizes
- Better water resistance
- Tinnitus masking built in
- More automatic hearing aids
- More convenience with remote fine tuning
- Smarter hearing aids
- A whole slew of new accessories
It is important that you have at least 60 days to evaluate your upgrade choice. This period will allow the clinician to iron out any teething issues and for you to have the opportunity to try your new devices in as many situations as possible. If they do not deliver a significant improvement, you should have the option to exchange for another suitable device with another 60 day evaluation period. If no new device offers a significant improvement, you should be allowed to have your money back within the first 60 days. This will allow you to wait for new developments before going through the process again.
Below we have a helpful upgrade request form to guide you through many of these questions. When you submit the form we will also send you a suggestion of which model may deliver the improvement you desire. Note, the suggestion will be our best attempt at offering a solution without having access to your latest assessment results. For a true and more accurate recommendation, we suggest booking a complimentary appointment with us.
If you've been shopping around for hearing aids and are perhaps feeling overwhelmed with the amount of options out there, then you may like to read our comprehensive Hearing Aid Buyers Guide eBook. It's packed full of useful information and advice to make sure the hearing aids you choose will work well for you now and into the future, without costing a fortune.
[gravityform id="6" title="true" description="true"]